Safety Consultant Group
ACE’s Safety Program is made possible by the ACE Safety Consultants Group. The SCG is made up of industry professionals with a passion for the continuing evolution of best practices in the circus arts. They come from a variety of backgrounds and with a variety of experiences, but share a set of values that include the following:
- No single person has all the answers when it comes to best practices; in fact, there are no final answers in how we deal collectively with risk management as it relates to circus arts
- Education, not exclusion, is the key to improving practices in the circus arts in the US
- Experts should be paid for their expertise and improving the safety practices in our sector is an urgent need.
ACE Safety Consultants are paid ($700 for a two-day site visit and $350 for a one-day site visit) on a freelance basis when they take on an application, perform a site-visit or consult on their area of experience, but not all of the work of the group is paid. Every consultant must apply and be approved by the Safety Program Committee, based on many factors, including:
- A deep familiarity with the ACE Safety Program, either through an intensive course (offered at national and regional educator conferences), or through specialized orientation (in special cases only)
- Must have a wealth of professional experience in some facet of risk management as it pertains to circus: rigging, curriculum or policy
- Excellent communication and technology skills
- A history within the community or ACE as an organization (attending Educator or Youth Conferences) and accompanying references.
This list is by no means exclusive or exhaustive; if you are new to our community but have a wealth of experience and a passion for safety, please send in your application so we can get to know you.
Becoming an ACE Safety Consultant
If you are interested in becoming an ACE Safety Consultant, please download the ACE Safety Consultant Application.
In the process of filling out the application, you’ll also need to reference the ACE Teacher Training Program Guidelines.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis by the Safety Program Committee; you will hear about the status of your application after it has been reviewed.
Safety Consultant Resources and Forms
Once you’ve joined the ACE safety consultant team, there are a few steps to take to get yourself set up:
- Complete a W-9 form and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sign and return the consultant contract, which you should receive from the program administrator
- Join the safety consultants google group, email@example.com, so that you’ll get all messages about consulting gigs and new consultant proposals.
When you’re ready to take on a consulting job, here are some documents and forms that you may find useful:
- Guidelines for site visits – an informal document with some recommendations for how to carry out your visit
- For teacher training program assessments:
Invoices can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.