Social Circus Committee
Social Circus Committee Description
Updated Feb 2021
Social Circus Committee members ensure the running of the Social Circus Network and drive ACE/AYCO’s priorities and actions to support Social Circus programs, growth, and visibility in the United States. This includes representation for annual festivals and conferences, equity and inclusion recommendations for ACE / AYCO, and supporting professional development for directors, managers, teaching artists, and young artists.
The Social Circus Committee is composed of 8-10 volunteer members ensuring a diverse cultural, age, geographic and role representation. Two members serve as Co-Chairs. Ideally one member of the committee will also serve on the AYCO/ACE board to aid in cross-organizational communication. Members meet for 1.5 hours on a bi-monthly basis facilitated by the Co-Chairs. Members also serve on at least one subcommittee to move social circus committee initiatives forward. Subcommittees meet on at least a monthly basis.
Social Circus Committee Actions:
- Convenes and connects social circus programs in order to share resources and build community
- Supports the professional development of social circus educators through sharing practice and connecting the pedagogy of social circus to broader educational goals and movements (ex. Creative Youth Development)
- Collaborates with AYCO/ACE to communicate the purpose and practice of Social Circus to a broader circus community
- Advises the AYCO Board on priorities for action in support of equity and inclusion initiatives, annual festivals and conferences, and Social Circus initiatives
Social Circus Committee Member Roles and Responsibilities
Accountable to: Committee Co-Chairs and Social Circus Network Members
Term Limits: 2 years, can be renewed up to 3 times for a total of 6 years maximum
Expected Hours per quarter: 2-4 (Particular projects may be assumed by the members that demand more time. These projects are at the discretion and capacity of the members.)
- Participate in a minimum of 70% of SC Committee meetings (at least 4 out of 6 annual meetings)
- Join a Social Circus Subcommittee and meet regularly with that committee
- Provide consulting, mentorship, and support for leaders of current and prospective Network programs based on one’s skills, knowledge, and capacity
- Stay abreast of national and international social circus trends and best practices
- Advise AYCO’s annual priorities, goals, and activities regarding SC initiatives and programming
- Supports the Social Circus Network by –
- + Participating in a minimum of three Social Circus Network convenings annually
- + Reviewing bimonthly Network Meeting Notes prior to each SC Committee meeting
- + Ensuring members’ voices inform Committee work
- Attendance at biannual Youth Festivals and Educators Conferences is recommended
Social Circus Committee Member Nomination Process (Annual)
At least 8 weeks prior to committee meeting: Nomination process begins by announcing that the committee is seeking more members via the ACE newsletter, social media channels, and an announcement to the Social Circus Community google group. The announcement is accompanied by this nomination form and includes a link to roles and responsibilities of committee members (Social Circus Committee Call for nominations). The nomination form is open for 2 weeks.
4 weeks prior to committee meeting: When the nomination process closes, nominees are contacted by the social circus program coordinator to fill out the form (unless they were self-nominated and already submitted their information). Nominees are given an additional 2 weeks to fill out the form.
2 weeks prior to committee meeting: Submissions for the nomination form formally close. Committee members have 2 weeks to review the nomination forms and fill out this internal recommendation form.
1 day prior to committee meeting: Committee co-chair reviews the internal recommendation form results, assigning a point system (such as this) to determine which nominees were most voted for to join the committee.
During committee meeting: Final review and selection of nominees.
Within one week after the committee meeting: The social circus program coordinator will reach out to all nominees and let them know whether or not they have been selected to join the committee.